September 17, 2019

Family Dispute Mediation Lawyer Lake Forest, IL

Family Dispute Mediation Lawyer Lake Forest, ILFamily Dispute Mediation Lawyer Lake Forest, IL

When your former spouse is not paying alimony to you, or you have found yourself in some kind of dispute with him or her, you should consider calling a family dispute mediation lawyer in Lake Forest, IL. Hurst, Robin & Kay, LLC, is an experienced family law firm who handles a broad range of matters, including disputes, dispute resolution, mediation, appeals, and more. If you would like to speak with a family lawyer in Lake Forest, IL, please call our firm now.

What To Do If Your Former Spouse Won’t Pay Alimony 

If your former spouse has suddenly stopped making alimony payments, we suggest meeting with a family dispute mediation lawyer in Lake Forest, IL from Hurst, Robin & Kay, LLC, for help. Perhaps your former spouse halted payments to seek revenge, or because there was an unanticipated life event. Either way, we can help you take appropriate action to get the support you need. We can advise you on what steps to take when your former spouse just won’t abide by the alimony court order. We can implement legal strategies to hopefully push your former spouse into paying.

Find Out the Reason Why

It can be helpful to know why a former spouse has stopped paying alimony. In some cases, a former spouse may have been fired from their job or faced an unexpected injury or illness. In such situations, you may be able to work with your spouse directly to establish a compromise as he or she gets better. If you have an amicable relationship with your former spouse, working out this arrangement between yourselves may be successful. Sometimes, terrible life events unfold in which we have no control over. But, a spouse that is being intentionally withholding of alimony is another story.

If you decide to collaborate together for a resolution without court assistance, a family dispute mediation lawyer in Lake Forest, IL, such as one from  Hurst, Robin & Kay, LLC is likely to suggest drafting a legal document in which both of you sign. This can help keep your former spouse accountable for holding up his or her end of the temporary alimony resolution. Sometimes this process will involve dispute mediation; of which, can be very beneficial.  

Filing a Motion to the Court

A former spouse that refuses to pay alimony, may be intentionally putting you in financial jeopardy. The intention of alimony is for one former spouse to help support the other as he or she seeks financial stability after separation or divorce. A family dispute mediation lawyer in Lake Forest, IL may be able to help you file a motion to the court, requesting the judge orders your former spouse to catch up on late payments, in addition to being on-time in the future.

If the court rules in favor of your motion, the judge can hold your spouse in contempt of court, or even have a warrant out for his or her arrest for failing to pay. The courts may also garnish wages from your former spouse’s paychecks, bank accounts, or other forms of assets. Judges don’t often respond kindly to former spouses who obviously are refusing to may payments, despite the court order. A judge may implement various strategies and consequences, to push your former spouse into making payments. 

Our law firm has been dedicated to helping people seek the support they need to get through a major life transition. We can understand that receiving late or a lack of payments, can be severely impacting your ability to provide for yourself as you strive for financial self-sufficiency. Please contact our office right away for your free consultation with a family dispute mediation lawyer in Lake Forest, IL from Hurst, Robin & Kay, LLC. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can get that needed alimony payment into your hands.