COVID-19 Notice: In an abundance of caution and in consideration of our community members at risk, we have temporarily closed the office for in person consultations and meetings. However, we remain open and are readily available for telephonic or video conferences, consultations, and meetings. Furthermore, we continue to have access to the court system and are able to represent you in proceeding on your family law related matters, including those which have arisen as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic. You can reach us at the general office number, 312-782-2400. You can also reach any attorney directly via email, or at the general firm address of Hurst, Robin & Kay, LLC, wish our clients, colleagues, friends, and community members health and safety during these difficult times.
April 9, 2019

How Is Child Custody Determined In Illinois?

The law regarding child custody in Illinois went nearly unchanged for decades. But recent changes were made to prevent contentious custody battles and ensure that truly the best interest of the child was being served. Two major changes stand out:

  • Legal custody of a child refers to the decision-making responsibilities regarding their life. These responsibilities can be divided or shared between both parents.
  • The courts no longer use the terms physical custody and visitation. Instead, it is called parenting time. How much parenting time each parent gets is determined by several different “best interest” standards.

What Is In The Best Interests Of Your Child?

Who can possibly understand that better, the parents or the court? We believe the best result for your child is achieved when you and your child’s other parent are able to come to a mutual agreement, and we always seek to accomplish that goal whenever possible.

The attorneys at Hurst, Robin & Kay, LLC, understand that child custody cases are often highly emotional and can be profoundly consequential to the lives of both our client and, more importantly, their children. At Hurst, Robin & Kay, LLC, we work with our clients in the Chicago area to assist them in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of their particular case so that they are in a position to make decisions in the best interests of their family.

Making sure that your children maintain strong bonds with both parents, even though the family has been divided, is important and often in the best interests of the children — even when one spouse strongly opposes this. While our initial focus is on helping clients work with their spouse in a collaborative fashion to reach an agreement on custody and visitation issues, we also recognize that this is not possible in all cases.

Our attorneys are experienced in child custody trials and work closely with mental health experts and attorneys appointed by the court on behalf of children.

Get Legal Guidance Personalized For Your Own Circumstances

If you are considering filing for divorce, seeking custody of your child, or in need of modification of an existing parenting plan or agreement, nonparental custody action, paternity case, or other family law matter involving the custody of your children, contact Hurst, Robin & Kay, LLC, for a consultation. Call today to speak with our lawyers at 312-782-2400, or send an email.